When you're in the middle of a move, you quickly realize how difficult it can be. You need dozens of boxes, wrapping for furniture, a truck to transport your things—and that's just the beginning. Planning the logistics of a move can be a headache, even more so if you want to be sustainable.
Moving is not an eco-friendly process. There's a lot of waste and wrapping involved, and most times, these things aren't recycled or reused. At Dehaven's Transfer & Storage, we believe moving companies are responsible for being as environmentally friendly as possible. Our Raleigh and Durham long-distance movers have created a list of numerous tips and tricks to help you stay sustainable while moving.
How Can Moving Companies Be More Environmentally Friendly?
Our Raliegh-Durham long-distance and residential movers are committed to creating an eco-friendly relocation experience. We encourage other companies to do the same. If we all take part in smaller eco-friendly practices, we can make a difference! Some of our environmentally friendly tips include:
- Combining Shipments: Combine smaller shipments of customers' items moving cross-country to save on fuel.
- Offering Reusable Boxes: Provide plastic containers for employees to store workstation items and reusable wardrobe boxes for transporting hangable clothing.
- Plastic Wrapping Alternatives: Skip out on disposable plastic bubbles or wrapping and opt for blankets or large rubber bands to protect items during moving.
Moving companies can also begin transitioning to more sustainable practices and upgrade their facilities to include eco-friendly solutions, including:
- Using Wind and Solar Power
- Using Recycled Office Products
- Encouraging Employee Recycling
- Using Environmentally-Friendly Cleaning Supplies
- Servicing Trucks and Vans in Environmentally Responsible Manner
How Can You Be More Eco-Friendly During Your Move?
Planning and preparing are the key ways to stay as eco-friendly as possible during a move. We've compiled some essential guidelines on different ways you can practice sustainability while moving. These include:
- Proper Disposal of Chemicals: Lookup local guidelines on the appropriate disposal of paint, gas, oil, or other household chemicals.
- Adequate Disposal of Appliances: Check your local community's guidelines on disposing of any unwanted electronics or appliances.
- Donating Unwanted Items: Any household items you don't need, like furniture or clothing, can be donated to local charities. You can donate nonperishable food to food banks.
- Reusing Boxes: Any boxes you have from deliveries or other products can be used during your move.
- Reusable Packing Materials: Skip out on plastic wrap or packing peanuts and opt for blankets or towels for your fragile items.
One of the best ways to ensure you're as eco-friendly as possible during your move is to work with an environmentally responsible moving company! At DeHaven's, our Raleigh and Durham residential movers apply the most practical and efficient moving practices to ensure your relocation goes as smoothly as possible while staying sustainable.
Work with Our Environmentally Friendly North Carolina Moving Company
You're moving process doesn't have to be stressful. At DeHaven's Moving and Storage, our Raleigh and Durham long-distance and residential movers will ensure your move goes as smoothly as possible. Our moving services include:
- Our fast and efficient shipping to anywhere in the country, as we're agents of North-American Moving Services Van Lines.
- We offer Expert packing and shipping for fragile or specialty items.
- Our long-term or short-term storage solutions are perfect for furniture, pianos, or merchandise.
- We will professionally wrap and ship furniture to ensure it arrives at your home safely.
If you're ready to work with an environmentally friendly moving company, reach out to our team today!
Subscribe to DeHaven's Transfer & Storage's Blog