Moving to a new place can be daunting and difficult. Before you call your Durham movers and head off to North Carolina, there are a few things you should know before moving.
- You’ll be pleased to know that the weather in Durham is lovely and temperate with four distinct seasons. Mild winters allow for activities such as golf all year round. Average temperatures are 70 degrees for a high, and 47 degrees for a low.
- You won’t be at a loss to find medical care. Known as the City of Medicine, healthcare in Durham is a major industry that includes more than 300 medical and health-related companies and medical practices.
- You might want to understand the geography of the Durham. You will be living on the piedmont, a geographic area lying between the mountains and coastal plains. Durham is in the northeast corner of North Carolina’s central piedmont. Durham is 130 miles from the ocean and 140 miles from the Appalachian highlands.
- Other than being the University of North Carolina’s basketball team, you might notice that North Carolinians are nicknamed “Tar Heels.” This name comes from pre-Revolutionary days when tar, pitch, and turpentine were extracted from the pine forests of North Carolina for British naval stores.
- You’ll want to start recycling if you don’t already. Durham was named number ten on the list of ‘Top Recycling Communities’. Call your local waste management and ask about options for curbside recycling.
For more information about Durham, check out the “newcomers” page on the Durham Convention and Visitors Bureau website. The more you know before you go, the more comfortable you’ll be. Schedule your Durham movers, and be on you way to a new life.
Photo provided by Flickr user @wonderdawg777 under the creative common license.
Subscribe to DeHaven's Transfer & Storage's Blog